People commonly switch from Android phones to iPhones in order to experience Apple’s premium hardware and smooth software experience. However, one common complaint we hear from users making the switch, particularly in places like India, is that there is no way to transfer old WhatsApp chats from your Android phone to your iPhone. WhatsApp has finally listened to our repeated requests and is now offering a simple way to transfer your chats from Android to iPhone. If you’ve been looking for a solution to this problem or relying on paid tools to move your valuable chats, you’re in luck. In this article, we’ll show you how to easily transfer your WhatsApp messages and media from Android to iPhone.
How to Transfer WhatsApp Chats from Android to iPhone (2022)
Before we get into how to transfer WhatsApp messages from an Android phone to an iPhone, let’s go over some of the prerequisites for this feature to function properly. If you already know the fundamentals, proceed to the steps for transferring WhatsApp data from one device to another:
Requirements for Transferring WhatsApp Messages from Android to iOS
Before you transfer your WhatsApp chats from your Android phone to your iPhone, there are a few things you should keep in mind. It is critical that you read these points carefully and thoroughly, or else the transfer process may be hampered.
To transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone, you must meet the following requirements:
- Android phones running Android 5 Lollipop or higher.
- iOS 15.5 or later is required. We attempted to transfer chats from Android to an iPhone running the iOS 16 developer beta, but it did not work in our testing. That means you can transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone on any iOS 15-compatible device, including the iPhone 13 series, iPhone 12 series, iPhone 11 series, iPhone XS/ XS Max, iPhone SE, SE2, and SE3, and even the iPhone XR.
- A compatible WhatsApp version, i.e. iOS 18.104.22.168 or higher and Android 22.214.171.124 or higher.
On your Android phone, download the “Move to iOS” app (free) from the Play Store. Aside from WhatsApp data, the app allows you to transfer messages, contacts, files, and other items to your iPhone.
- This is the most important step in making this method work. Otherwise, you will be unable to move your WhatsApp messages unless you reset your iPhone and start over. The steps for resetting an iPhone are detailed below.
- Log in to WhatsApp on iPhone with the same phone number that you used on Android. While moving data, you cannot change the phone number.
- Because the transfer process can take a long time, especially if your WhatsApp backup is large, keep both your Android phone and iPhone plugged in.
- Furthermore, you must connect both devices to the same wireless network, or your Android phone will be connected to the iPhone’s hotspot for data transfer.
Free Way to Transfer WhatsApp Data From Android to iPhone
Mobitrix WhatsAppTrans is a free tool that allows you to easily transfer WhatsApp data from Android to iPhone. To use this tool, you must be familiar with how the software works. Incorrectly performing the procedures listed below can damage your data.
Step 1: Get Mobitrix WhatsAppTrans from GitHub. You can get the entire.zip file, which contains WhatsApp.apk and the WhatsApp data export tool.
Step 2: Next, you can use WhatsApp’s local backup feature to save the data you require. To avoid losing data, it is critical that you back it up correctly.
It is important to remember that this method should only be used after you have confirmed that the WhatsApp directory exists in your file management system. You may not proceed if the folder is missing from the location.
Step 3: Next, uninstall WhatsApp and reinstall the WhatsApp you downloaded from the.zip file.
Step 5: You should now see a screen with the message “Restore Data.” Tap Restore data on that screen.
Step 6: From this point on, it is more about technical procedures and adhering to them meticulously. Locate the WhatsApp folder in the Android file management. Make a new file called data.flg inside the folder. Then launch WhatsApp, if you have it installed.
Step 7: Return to the folder and check for a new file called ok.flg and a new folder called chatpath. You have successfully exported the chat history if both the file and the folder are present.
Step 8: Plug in your Android device and copy and paste the WhatsApp folder to your desktop.
Step 9: Open a command prompt and type the following command.
ExportAndroidWhatsApp.exe WhatsApp path
By running the command, you will export your chat history to a text file.
Step 11: On the iPhone, import all of the media files in the WhatsApp folder, including the text file. When you launch WhatsApp on your iPhone, you will see the imported chat history.
What WhatsApp Data Can and Cannot Be Transferred to an iPhone?
WhatsApp has detailed the data that can be transferred from Android to iPhone on its official support page. We’ve tallied the figures right here:
|WhatsApp Data that Gets TransferredWhatsApp Data that’s Not TransferredWhatsApp settingsprofile display namechat history (with media)peer-to-peer payment messagesaccount informationcall historyprofile pictureindividual and group chats
How to Reset an iPhone with iOS 15 or Later
If you’re switching from an Android phone to a new iPhone, you’re good to go and can transfer your WhatsApp chats while setting up your new Apple device. However, if you already have an iPhone and want to import your old Android chats, you must first reset the device, as described above.
The process of resetting an iPhone is simple, but we recommend that you backup your data to iCloud first. When you’re ready to reset your Apple device, follow these steps:
1. On your iPhone, open the Settings app and go to “General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone.”
2. Then, choose “Erase All Content and Settings.” You will be taken to the “Erase This iPhone” screen, where you must click “Continue” to proceed.
3. Reset After backing up your data to iCloud, enter your passcode for confirmation and select the “Erase” option. That’s the end of it. Your iPhone has been successfully reset.
Steps to Transfer WhatsApp Chats from Android to iPhone
Note: To test the WhatsApp data transfer feature in this tutorial, we used the OnePlus Nord running Android 12-based OxygenOS 12 and the iPhone SE 2 running iOS 15.5. Also, we’d like to point out that the data transfer feature is being rolled out in stages, and it didn’t work on our end with Android 11 (Asus ROG Phone 5s) or iOS 16 beta (iPhone X).
Now that we’ve covered the fundamentals, let’s look at how to transfer WhatsApp data from an Android phone to an iPhone for free. Oh, yes! You no longer need to pay for third-party tools to transfer WhatsApp conversations to your iPhone. The free and official method for transferring chats from Android to iPhone is as follows:
1. After resetting your iPhone, begin the setup process by following the on-screen instructions. Log in to your Apple account and proceed with the setup, but stop when you reach the “Apps & Data” screen.
2. On this screen, choose “Move Data from Android” (second last from the bottom).
3. Tap “Continue” on the next screen, titled “Move from Android,” to see a one-time code that you must enter in the “Move to iOS” app on your Android phone.
4. Now, switch to your Android device and launch the “Move to iOS” app (Free).
5. Tap the “Continue” button in the app, agree to Apple’s terms and conditions, and grant the app all necessary permissions (location permission is essential).
6. On Android 6, switch to the iOS setup. Following that, you will see a “Continue” button on the “Find Your Code” screen once more. Tap the “Continue” button and enter the one-time code that appeared on your iPhone (in step #3).
7. In the move to ios app, enter the one-time code from your iPhone. When you enter the code, your Android phone will connect wirelessly to your iPhone. To complete the pairing process, you may be asked to select and connect to the iPhone’s local wireless network.
8. After you’ve paired the two devices, you’ll see a “Transfer Data” option in your iPhone’s “Move to iOS” app. Choose “WhatsApp” from the drop-down menu. You’ll see a checkmark and the size of the WhatsApp data backup you’ll be transferring from Android to iPhone. To proceed, click the “Continue” button.
9. The “Move chats to iOS” option in WhatsApp will now appear on your screen, indicating that you’re one step closer to transferring your messages from Android to iPhone. Once WhatsApp has finished preparing your files for transfer, tap the “Start” button, followed by the “Next” button.
10. Whatsapp 10 migration from Android to iOS Then WhatsApp will begin transferring your WhatsApp messages and media from Android to iPhone.
Note: Please be patient as the WhatsApp data transfer process can be lengthy. The app usually says it will take 4-5 minutes, but it may take longer if your backup is large. It took me about 30 minutes to transfer a 1.7GB WhatsApp backup from Android to iPhone.
11. Finally, once your WhatsApp messages have been successfully transferred to your Apple device, both your Android phone and iPhone will display a “Transfer Complete” message.
Install WhatsApp and Finish Data Transfer on iPhone
Set the Android phone aside and tap the “Continue Setting Up iPhone” button on your Apple device, as shown in the image above. Then, to set up WhatsApp on your iPhone, follow the steps below:
12. From the home screen, go to the App Store and download WhatsApp (Free).
13. Install and launch WhatsApp on your iPhone 13. When you open WhatsApp Messenger on your iPhone, you will immediately see the “Move Chats from Android” prompt. Tap the “Start” button to grant WhatsApp the required permissions to transfer messages from Android to iPhone.
14. When you do this, WhatsApp will import our chats from your Android phone to your iPhone. Depending on the size of your backup, this could take 10 to 15 minutes or more. Following that, you will see a “Transfer Complete” prompt and will be able to set up your profile.
15. WhatsApp chats 15 And there you have it! You have successfully transferred your Android messages and media to iOS.
Enable iCloud Backup for WhatsApp on iPhone to use the same chats as on Android
When you’re finished, there’s one more thing you should do for safety. It’s important to note that your data was transferred to your iPhone via a local backup, so you must manually enable iCloud backup for WhatsApp.
To do so, go to “Settings -> Chats -> Chat Backup” and choose “Back Up Now” to save your chat history and media to iCloud. You can now easily restore all of your previous messages using the iCloud backup whenever you switch to another iPhone. Check out the linked article for more WhatsApp tips and tricks.
Move to iOS App Doesn’t Show WhatsApp? This is why!
Now, I’ve noticed that many users are experiencing the problem of not seeing the “WhatsApp” option in the Move to iOS app. This is because WhatsApp has not yet made this chat transfer functionality available to all users. Only a few users have access to the feature, and only a few people see the “WhatsApp” option in the Move to iOS app. Stay tuned as the company plans to make the ability to transfer messages from Android to iPhone available to all users very soon.
WhatsApp Chats Not Working on iOS? How to Repair!
If you have any problems transferring your chats from your Android phone to your iPhone, try the following solutions:
1. First, ensure that your Android phone and iPhone both meet the basic requirements listed at the beginning of this article. Also, make sure your devices are running a compatible version of WhatsApp.
2. Remember to reset your iPhone before transferring your old WhatsApp conversations from Android to iPhone. WhatsApp data cannot be transferred to an already activated iPhone because “it is not possible to merge the new and old history,” according to WhatsApp’s support page. So, before you continue, follow the steps above to reset your iPhone. You don’t need to worry about this if you’re setting up a brand new iPhone.
3. Keep in mind that for the chat transfer to work, both the Android phone and the iPhone must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
4. If these two conditions are met, we strongly advise you to log into WhatsApp on your iPhone with the same phone number that you used on your Android phone. Changing phone numbers is not possible during the transfer process.
5. Finally, there’s a chance that the “Move to iOS” app on your Android phone isn’t working properly or is crashing. If this is the case, WhatsApp recommends contacting Apple support to assist you in resolving the issue.
Questions and Answers (FAQ)
How do I move my WhatsApp conversation history from Android to iPhone?
WhatsApp has officially added support for chat transfers from Android to iPhone as of June 14. To transfer messages from your Android phone to WhatsApp, all you need is a compatible Android phone with the “Move to iOS” app and an iPhone (new or reset). In our guide, we’ve included detailed instructions for transferring chats from Android to iPhone, so take a look for more information.
How do I restore WhatsApp chats on an iPhone from a Google Drive backup?
You cannot restore WhatsApp chats from your Android phone to your iPhone using a Google Drive backup. Instead, you can now easily transfer your chat history from an Android phone to an iPhone using the “Move to iOS” app.
Is it possible to move a backup of WhatsApp from Google Drive to iCloud?
Yes, you can now backup your WhatsApp data from Google Drive to iCloud. The procedure is time-consuming and entails transferring your chats from Android to iPhone via the official WhatsApp process. It requires a factory reset iPhone and the Move to iOS app on an Android phone. After successfully transferring the chats from Android to iPhone, you can enable iCloud backups on your iPhone. In our guide, we explain how this works.
Can WhatsApp read the conversations I move from Android to iPhone?
No, WhatsApp will not have access to the data you transfer from Android to iPhone. Furthermore, unless you enable iCloud backups after migrating your data, your messages will not be sent to any cloud storage server.
Will my WhatsApp messages from Android be deleted after I switch to iPhone?
No, it does not. “Unless you delete WhatsApp or wipe your phone, your Android phone will still have your data,” the messaging giant states on its support page.
Transfer WhatsApp Messages from Android to iOS
So, if you carefully follow the step-by-step instructions outlined above, you should be able to easily transfer your WhatsApp chats to your new iPhone. Furthermore, for those switching from iPhone to Android, the messaging giant allows you to move messages the other way around as well. However, for the time being, the feature is limited to Pixels, Samsung phones, and select Android 12 phones. Having said that, we are pleased to see WhatsApp finally take the lead and make it easier to switch between mobile platforms. The messaging app now supports multi-device use, allowing you to use WhatsApp on the web or desktop even when your phone is not connected to the internet. The steps to set it up can be found in the linked article. If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments section below.